Saturday 11 February 2012

Well, the day has arrived - in a couple of hours I will be en route to Heathrow ready to start my Kenyan adventures!

I've learned many things about myself over the last 18 months:

1) I'm a terrible blog writer! 9 posts in a year and a half is a pretty poor show, so if you have been eagerly awaiting the next instalment to find it unforthcoming, I apologise.

2) I'm not the outdoorsy type - having to leave my nice warm house to cycle in the rain and mud makes me a bit miserable.

3) More positively, I can achieve anything (however far outside of my comfort zone) if I really set my mind to it. Admittedly, I haven't yet completed the 400km, but I have managed the first 2 parts of my challenge - fundraising for a fantastic cause (£3,395.32 to date with promises of more to come) and training (building up from a very slow 2.3 miles just 18 months ago).

There's always more I could have done - I could have done more training or lost more weight or raised more money - but for now I am happy with what I have achieved. Completing next week's ride will just be the icing on the cake. I, along with everyone else completing this challenge, have had obstacles - there have been times when I haven't been able to train because of health or injury, there have been times when I've had to prioritise other activities over my training, and quite honestly there have been times when I just didn't want to do it. Yet, here I am, ready to set off, and I believe I will make it. I know it will be hard, painful and emotional. It will also be beautiful, amazing and quite possibly my biggest achievement in my life so far.

If you haven't yet sponsored me and you would like to, it's not too late. Go to http://www.justgiving.com/mimcycleskenya and help me make a real difference to the lives of cancer sufferers.

Before I go, I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who has supported me over the last year and a half, whether through the sacrifice of time and finances, or emotional support (and in many cases both). I could not have got to this point without the help and love of the people around me. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment